Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Game of Life

So I'm not a huge fan of board games. I love games, don't get me wrong, but anything that has a dice or spinner or little pegs you have to move with tweezers...yeah, I've never really enjoyed. The reason being that I get extremely board. I mean, they never require any brain power. You roll the dice, move your peg thingy, read what's on the space, obey some invisible game commander and then your turn is over. *yawn* However, on the flip side, I love games like scrabble, catch phrase, scattegories, boggle, and any other game that requires thought. Those games actually keep me up at night thinking about strategies and how I need to increase my vocabulary, which is another blog topic for another day.

But recently Holli and I played the game of Life. I haven't played Life for sooo long that I couldn't believe how much the board--and the game itself--has actually changed. It was a new experience for me. We played a last week (had to read the instructions sadly) and I lost. Of course, she went to college first while I jump-started my career as a mechanic (yeah, I know. Luck of the draw). But it was so close, and so much fun that yesterday I challenged her to a rematch. This time I went to college, and this time I won. (I don't think the relation between getting a college career card and a regular career card in the game of Life is justification enough for me to go back to school. I still have strong feelings in regards to our country's higher education system. Just thought I'd let you know.) Actually, the reason I won is because Holli "drew" the Lawyer card, and I "drew" the doctor card. So we basically "got lucky" with our careers at the start. But we had so much fun that my feelings towards regular board games just might change.

I think what made this "life" changing experience so great is that I enjoyed playing a simple board game with my wife more than I enjoyed watching TV or a movie or doing anything else. It was just so much fun and such a great way to get to know Holli so much better. I think there are simple and inexpensive ways that we can enjoy life. Part of our problems is that we are just too "busy" to recognize them and give them a chance. Having said that, I would therefore like to propose a toast. A toast to Life! *chink*

2 comments:

Wildfire said...

Parcheesi, my friend. You have not enjoyed a board game until you have played Parcheesi.

Holli Fuhriman said...

I love you, Honey!